One of the main benefits of owning an RV is the freedom it gives you. You can drive almost anywhere and essentially turn that place into a makeshift campsite. But if you want to boondock in an RV, there are a few tips and tricks you need to know. Below, we’ll show you how to boondock in an RV.
What is Boondocking?
Boondocking is essentially a free form of camping in which you don’t hook up to the usual RV amenities such as cable or sewers. This is also sometimes referred to as “dry camping.” As you might imagine, an RV can make boondocking a lot more comfortable—but if you don’t know how to take care of some basic necessities, it can turn sour in a hurry.
Before You Boondock in an RV: What You Need to Know
Sure, you can take your RV to a remote site and enjoy a little campout with minimal preparation. However, you can make your experience even better if you prepare for boondocking in advance. These are a few tips to get you started:
- Research your spot. If you have a large RV, you won’t be surprised to find that you may not be allowed to camp in certain areas. Scout ahead for the best camping areas for your vehicles, especially those with quick access to amenities if you do need to use them.
- Keep the appropriate tanks full—or empty. A full tank of gas is a blessing. But a full tank of greywater? Not so much. Because boondocking means that you’re going to be off the grid, make sure your RV is capable of offering comfort and convenience for an extended period of time before you head out.
- Prepare for living. Be sure to pack some basic items you’ll need to make the RV comfortable, such as food, water, and cleaning supplies.
- Conserve your water. Conserving your water is imperative to enjoying your time while boondocking. That being said, be careful with it! Minimize water usage to keep your tanks as full as possible. You also need to make sure that you have enough bottled water with you so that you can drink as much as you like.
- Address issues as they arise. Let’s say you notice a new leak while you’re boondocking. Are you prepared to deal with it? You might want to pack the appropriate RV sealants to ensure that you can do quick repairs and keep the interior of your RV in good shape.
RV by LIFE can Help!
Now that you know how to boondock in an RV, it’s time to get the right supplies so you can have a successful trip. Browse the RV cleaners, sealants, and restoration products here at RV by LIFE. When you have our products on hand, you’ll feel confident that you can tackle any issue that may arise on your trip. Start planning for your next RV adventure today!